World AIDS Day is December 1
An extensive number of events have been scheduled for local observances of World AIDS Day, which is December 1. Among them, all of which are free and open to the public (although donations may be accepted at benefits), are the following:
• At Roberts Wesleyan College: Dr. Patrick Railey, director of medical ministry, Operation Mobilization, "Awaken the Church: Responding to HIV/AIDS Pandemic," 11 a.m. Monday, November 27, Hale Auditorium; "A Closer Walk" film and discussion, 9 p.m. November 27, Hale Auditorium. "Lives at Stake" photographic exhibit, Friday, December 1. Information, www.roberts.edu.
• At the University of Rochester: "Vision = Life: AIDS posters from the Edward Atwater Collection" opening Monday, November 27, with reception at 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 29, Hartnett Gallery. AA Bronson, founding member of General Idea artists' collaborative, speaking at 6 p.m. Wednesday, November 29, Gowen Room, Wilson Commons; Dr. Michael Keefer and Dr. Sharon Glezen in panel discussion, "Let's Talk about HIV," 7 p.m. Thursday, November 30, Wilson Commons, Gowen Room. Free HIV testing, noon to 2:30 p.m., Friday, December 1, Wilson Quadrangle. Information, www.rochester.edu.
• "Hope for All the Children," area dancers and musicians performing a benefit for orphans at CHES Ashram in Chennai, India, 7:30 p.m. Friday, December 1, First Universalist Church, 150 South Clinton Avenue. Sponsored by PeaceArt International. Information, 288-2572.
• SUNY Brockport professor Douglas Feldman discussing President Bush's $15 billion "Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief" in Africa, 2 p.m. Sunday, December 3, Central Library, Gleason Auditorium, 115 South Avenue.
• "Keep the Promise," a prayer service and discussion by Wade Norwood, director, Finger Lakes Health Systems Agency, 7 p.m. Sunday, December 3, Third Presbyterian Church, 4 Meigs Street (at East Avenue).
• AIDS Rochester is selling fresh evergreen wreaths, with all proceeds going to the agency. Available Friday, December 1. Order by calling 442-2220 or online at www.aidsrochester.org. Cost is $45.