When: Sun., May 11 2014
Museum hours: Sun 11 a.m.-5 p.m. The exhibit contains the original steam engine, control devices, a working model of the bridge and explanatory labels about the bridge, its builder and the railroads that used it to cross the Genesee River. Built in 1905 by the King Bridge Company, the bridge originally carried trains of the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad. It was designed to rotate 90 degrees when required to permit passage of river traffic. Power for the rotation was provided by a steam engine located in a control cabin atop the 304 foot long bridge. This engine, a product of the Lidgerwood Manufacturing Company, had two cylinders and was rated at 50 horsepower. The engine is now a main feature of the museum’s exhibit.